- Capacity: 1,800 Students with supporting staff
- Building Area: Approximately 382,000 gross square feet
- Site: Approximately 100 acres of a 160-acre joint development with the City of Waukee
- Planned Opening: Fall, 2021
- Location: Waukee, Iowa
BUILDING FEATURES AND ORGANIZATION
- The building layout utilizes a single secure entry vestibule for both students, staff, and visitors when school is in session.
- The entry, adjacent to the administration offices, opens into the two-story high central student commons area with views through the media center and onto the pond.
- The major components of the building program are organized around and radiate from, the central student commons and access to all public areas like the auditorium, gymnasium, and the black-box theater are from this area. All of the academic spaces are linked through this space.
- The two-story-high commons space serves as the hub for all school activity and interaction and connects to the upper level with balconies that look over the space, and to the lower level through a large open stair.
- A learning stair at the north end of the commons serves as a collaboration and presentation area and connects the two upper levels.
- Bounding the north end of the commons, a two-story-high media center creates a visual connection to the outdoors. This glass-walled space opens to a roof terrace that provides outdoor seating areas with views to the pond. A second-floor mezzanine area in the media center provides additional seating.
- Three-story academic wings flank each side of the media center and extend from the commons area, creating efficient and compact internal circulation.
- Multiple individual and group areas are created throughout the building to encourage collaboration at student and staff levels.
- Professional office areas are distributed in the academic wings to create a teaming environment and maximize building utilization.
- Gymnasium and auxiliary gym are adjacent and open to create one larger space with an operable wall. The gym seating is top load and enters at the main level with the gym floor level at the lower floor. A running track circles both the gym and auxiliary gym at the main level and serves as circulation from the gym seating.
- Main Gymnasium Seating Capacity is 2500
- Running track is three-lane
- The auditorium seats 1000 including a second-floor balcony reducing the distance from stage to seating in order to enhance the audience experience. The facility has an orchestra pit and a full fly-loft stage.
- The building is designed and oriented on the site to maximize views of the academic areas to the pond.
- Separate one-story structures serve as the greenhouse, and concession and team rooms for the stadium.
- Principal exterior materials will consist of brick masonry, metal panels, and has ample aluminum windows and curtain wall to maximize natural light and views in the school.
- The project site is approximately 100 acres of the 160-acre campus being jointly developed with the City of Waukee. The remaining portion of the site is being developed as a youth sports complex by the city.
- The site is bounded to the north by Douglas Parkway which will be extended from the east. The western edge of the property is bounded by U-avenue and to the south by an extended NE Sunrise Drive.
- The entire campus site will be sloped toward a central pond area that will act as the site’s and some regional storm-water detention.
- There will be two main driveway entrances to the site. A drive access from Sunrise Drive to the south will serve buses and accessible parking for the building. A main drive access from U-Avenue to the west will enter the site with a public access circle and visitor parking. This drive will also access student, staff and event parking.
- Taking advantage of the natural slopes of the site, the new stadium will be set into the ground in a bowl-type setting giving the building’s entry more prominence when entering the campus.
- Total school parking is approximately 1360 stalls.
OUTDOOR ATHLETIC FACILITIES
- Outdoor Athletic Facilities included in the Scope of the project include:
- Football stadium, field, track, and service amenities in a bowl-type configuration.
- (4) Practice fields.
- (12) Tennis Courts with fencing and lighting.
- (1) Competition Baseball and (1) Practice Baseball Field
- (1) Competition Softball Field and (1) Practice Softball Field